Background of the Study session:
Based on 2020 in-depth, European-wide research involving hundreds of young Roma and youth civil society organizations, conducted by Phiren Amenca International Network and the ternYpe Roma Youth International Network, one of the main challenged that are faced by Roma youth, is in fact youth participation. 57% of young Roma experience obstacles for participating in public and social life. Political participation of young European Roma remains extremely low. Moreover, there is a major lack of Roma youth participation in the National Youth Councils and in the work and programs of youth organizations.
Regional Roma Educational Association, the National Youth Councils of North Macedonia, Romania, Ukraine, the National Youth Forum of Bulgaria and in partnership with the Youth Department of the Council of Europe are organizing a Study session in order to open a discussion about important issues related to social inclusion of Roma youth and other marginalized groups with special focus on their active participation in the decision-making process both nationally and on more local level.
Aims and objectives
Aim: To strengthen the capacities of Roma and non-Roma youth organizations and representative bodies of youth to increase participation of Roma youth and other marginalized groups within and outside of their structures.
- To encourage and build competences of the participants to advocate for the rights of the young Roma people and other marginalized groups within representative bodies at local/national/international level;
- To explore good practices of young Roma and marginalized groups in inclusion and the participation in decision making processes in their countries;
- To formulate recommendations for increasing participation of Roma and marginalized groups and enable follow-up partnerships and actions at national and international levels;
Who should apply?
We are looking a total of 30 young participants coming from European countries between the age of 18 to 30, with a focus on:
- Young Roma people and other marginalized groups;
- Representatives of National Youth Councils as networks;
- Representatives of Local (youth) consultative structures (advisory boards, municipal youth councils);
- Representatives of the Youth organizations.
When and where?
The Study session will take place during 22nd of May and 27th of May in the European Youth Center Budapest (EYCB), Hungary. Travel dates from and to Hungary are 22nd of May and 27th of May.
Language and Format
English is the language that will be used during the Study session.
The event will be held using Non-Formal Education format and methodology.
The deadline for applying is: 2nd of May, 2022.
Applicants can apply through our online form by following this link.
*Only selected participants will be contacted after the selection process is completed